Philippians: JOYFULLY CONTENT
It is not about DOING stuff, it is about BEING. Being available to be used by God!
- Philippi thus became the first European city to receive the gospel and also to hear the first Christian concert, which featured a special duet at midnight.
- It was apparently Paul’s favorite church. During his brief stay there he and Silas saw God work marvelously in the lives of at least three individuals:
- An Asian businesswoman named Lydia whom God saved from Judaism (Acts 16:13-15).
- A Greek soothsayer whom God saved from demonism (Acts 16:16-18).
- A Roman jailor whom God saved from Emperiorism (the worship of Caesar) (Acts 16:19, 20).
- It was at this time, some ten years after his original visit to Philippi, that Paul wrote the epistle of Philippians to his favorite church.
- Joy is mentioned 18 times. 1 of 4 prison letters.
Philippians 1:21 For to me, living means living for Christ, and dying is even better.
As a single, married, parent, vocation, hobbies, influencing others, being blessed
- His desire was to depart and be with the Savior.
- His decision was to remain and minister to the saints.
Paul’s Prayer – for you and me
Philippians 1:6, 11 And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns. May you always be filled with the fruit of your salvation—the righteous character produced in your life by Jesus Christ—for this will bring much glory and praise to God.
That God’s Word be carried to its completion in every believer until the return of Christ.
Fruit of the Spirit Galatians 5:22-26
Philippians 1:12-13 And I want you to know, my dear brothers and sisters, that everything that has happened to me here has helped to spread the Good News. For everyone here, including the whole palace guard, knows that I am in chains because of Christ.
God is sovereign. Witness for Christ
Don’t try to figure out the circumstance…don’t live according to your expectation…allow God to lead you and join Him.
**Presence of God…love of God, peace, joy of the Lord
Philippians 2:3 Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves.
Humility essentials: Unity in love, Unity in spirit and purpose.
World is selfish, Christians at times can be selfish/young/carnal, Christ followers are humble.
Philippians 2:12-13 Dear friends, you always followed my instructions when I was with you. And now that I am away, it is even more important. Work hard to show the results of your salvation, obeying God with deep reverence and fear. For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.
Let God mature you. Work hard at BEING…not DOING! Rom 12:1-2 mind renewal!
Not work hard to prove your saved L NO!
He gives the power and the desire…wow!
Philippians 2:14 Do everything without complaining and arguing.
Life is full of challenges and it is those very challenges that may be the platform for you and I to grow, be blessed, experience the presence of God, share the gospel, to be blessed!
Philippians 3:14 I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.
A new goal! Not worldly, but spiritual. Well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Philippians 3:7 I once thought these things were valuable, but now I consider them worthless because of what Christ has done.
Paul gave up what he thought was important and gained the priceless knowledge of Christ.
The fruit of the Spirit!!!!!!!!!
Philippians 3:17 Dear brothers and sisters, pattern your lives after mine, and learn from those who follow our example.
He is a mentor. 1 on 1 discipleship.
Philippians 4:13 For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.
Jesus is the satisfier.
Philippians 4:8 And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.
Philippians 4:19 And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.